**DISCLAIMER - THC123 is an Employment Agency for the Cannabis Industry. Our openings are tied to multiple clients in the Cannabis Industry. Please reference JOB ID in emails to allow our team to serve you best.
TITLE: Laboratory Scientist II
DIRECT REPORT: Laboratory Scientist III
SUPERVISES: Limited Supervision of Scientist I
The laboratory analyst is critical to the overall functioning of the laboratory and for the acquisition of sound scientific results; the analytical process relies on the appropriate preparation of samples. The scientist is empowered to ensure all samples are received in appropriate manner, are correctly processed into the system, and properly prepared for microbial and chemical analyses. The scientist is tasked to provide leadership through mentorship and collaboration.
Employee must be at least 21 years of age.
Education & Required Experience:
- (1) BA/BS
and 4 years of paid laboratory experience, at least 3 year relevant laboratory experience; or
- (2) MA/MS
and 2 years of relevant laboratory experience; or
- (3) PhD
and relevant research experience or 1 year relevant laboratory work experience.
Internal Advancement Possibility:
Scientist III/Team Leader
Upon request, must pass a criminal background check prior to and periodically throughout employment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Policies and Procedures:
- Learn and apply the quality management system which is in accord with ISO/IEC 17025 and state regulatory requirements.
- Must demonstrate competence prior to independently performing any job duty.
- Maintain a safe environment in which employees are protected from physical, chemical and biological hazards.
- Must demonstrate competence for all Laboratory Analyst I, II, III, Scientist I duties within 90 days of start date.
- Prepare reagents, working standards, calibration and QC standards for chemical analyses
- Perform instrument maintenance, as assigned
- Ensure instruments are verified as fit for use following any/all routine or non-routine service.
- Troubleshoot method problems with other team members
- Perform all analytical and microbial test methods
- Edit and draft technical documents
- Participate on method development/method validation teams
- Apply appropriate principles to ensure acceptable data quality (e.g. chromatographic peaks have been properly and correctly integrated)
- Review quality control charts monthly to ensure trending/outliers have been appropriately addressed.
- Provide second review of data/test results, as necessary
- Perform routine and/or preventive instrument maintenance, as assigned.
- Ensure all preventive maintenance is performed on instruments and equipment.
- Ensure equipment verifications have been performed according to schedule.
- May assist with customer service queries and investigations.
- Mentor Analysts and Scientist I, as assigned
- Directly train Scientists and ensure their competences to perform designated duties
- Maintain appropriate technical and managerial records
- Performs other duties as assigned
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Must work collaboratively with colleagues and customers.
The work environment characteristics described below are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work is performed in a laboratory environment and may require use of personal protection equipment to limit exposure to chemicals or other hazards found within a laboratory environment.
- There are frequent contacts and interruptions during the day.
- The work environment will expose employee to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration.
- The noise level in the work environment can be loud.
- For security purposes there are cameras located throughout the laboratory except in restrooms and change rooms.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Requires the ability to concentrate and consistently produce accurate work.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.